Joining the library
Who can use the library and how to join?
KUE students and doctoral students
- in person at the circulation desk in the Lending Room
- or remotely by sending your name, surname and student number to email@example.com. After creating an account, you will receive an email with more information about library services.
- in person at the circulation desk in the Lending Room
- please send your name, surname, and name of the College/Institute/Department (verification will be based on data from USOSweb) to firstname.lastname@example.org. After creating an account, you will receive an email with more information about library services.
- students and academics of Krakow’s public universities - please fill in a registration form (If you are a student you have to present a valid student card at the circulation desk during the first visit. If you are an academic you have to fill in a surety form additionally and send it to email@example.com or deliver it in person to the Lending Room.)
- students and academics of Krakow’s non-public universities (If your library has signed the agreement with the KUE Main Library on the mutual provision of library services) - please fill in a registration form (If you are a student you have to present a valid student card at the circulation desk during the first visit. If you are an academic you have to fill in a surety form additionally and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver it in person to the Lending Room.)
Search/ order/ pick up
- Log in to your library account and search the library's materials.
- Note the location of books (Wypożyczalnia [Lending Room], Magazyn [Closed Stacks]) and the book’s status:
- If a book has the location Wypożyczalnia [Lending Room] with the status: Available, please check its UDC (UKD) number, then go to the Lending Room, find the shelf marked with this UDC number and the book you are looking for, and then borrow it at the circulation desk or by using the self-check system.
- If a book has the location Magazyn [Closed Stacks] with the status: Available, please order it using the online catalogue, choose the pickup location (Lending Room or Book-o-mat), wait for the order completion notification via email, and then pick up a book at the chosen place.
- If a book is borrowed (status: Checked out), reserve it using the online catalogue, choose the pickup location (Lending Room or Book-o-mat), wait for item availability notification via email, and then pick up a book at the chosen place.
If you are looking for books published before 1993 and they are not in the computer catalogue, please check out the digitized card catalogue.
You cannot borrow books marked as:
- reading room book collection,
- archive book collection,
- special collections.
Such publications can be used only on-site in the Main Reading Room.
Can't find the item you are looking for in our collections, and it is not in the collections of other Krakow libraries? Take advantage of the interlibrary loan service.
How many books can you borrow and for how long?
|KUE doctoral students
|students, English Track students, postgraduate students - 10 books up to 30 days
students with disabilities* - 10 books up to 60 days
students of two faculties - 12 books up to 30 days
|12 books up to 60 days
|20 books up to 90 days
|3 books up to 14 days
- are entitled to priority service
- may appoint a person authorized for at least 1 year to borrow books on their behalf. Please fill in the authorization letter and send the signed scan to: email@example.com. Your data will be verified by the KUE Office for People with Disabilities. A librarian on duty will verify authorized person data during the first visit as well.
- You can renew a book yourself after logging into your user’s account in the online catalogue.
- You cannot renew a book if a book has been reserved by another user and if you have outstanding payments towards the library above 5 PLN.
- The borrowing period will be extended from the date of prolongate/renewal up to a period consistent with an account type (e.g. for students, doctoral students, employees, students with disabilities).
How can you return books?
- in person at the circulation desk or by using the self-check system in the Lending Room;
- by using Book-o-mat located next to the Lending Room (books will be credited as returned after verification by library staff);
- by sending books by post at your own expense to the address of the KUE Main Library (Rakowicka 27 St. 31-510 Krakow) with the note: "Wypożyczalnia".
When do you have to return the books?
- Information about the return date is displayed after logging into your user’s account in the online catalogue (in the tab YOUR ACCOUNT - YOUR SUMMARY).
Lost or damaged items
What to do next?
- You can repurchase the lost or damaged book (the same publishing year or a new edition). If you cannot buy that book back (out-of-print book), please check the list of items that the Library can accept in exchange and buy an item with a similar price as a lost or damaged book.
Fee for overdue books
- There is a fee of 0.20 PLN for each day of failing to return an item in time, charged for each book separately. You can check the amount of payment after logging into your user’s account in the online catalogue.
When do you have to pay?
- Before renewal or after returning borrowed books.
How can you pay the fee for overdue books?
- You can use quick payments - from 5 PLN and above. Please log into your user’s account in the online catalogue, and check: YOUR ACCOUNT - YOUR CHARGES - PAY via PayU;
- or you can pay the fee by a bank transfer to the university account - Krakow University of Economics, Alior Bank no. 08 2490 0005 0000 4600 2884 8664, title: fee for overdue books, number of YOUR library card.
What to do next?
- Please remember to send a proof of payment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Letter on the allowance in payment of amounts due for overdue books
- The letter can be submitted after the return of the borrowed books*.
- Write your letter according to the Zarządzenie Rektora Uniwersytetu Ekonomicznego w Krakowie nr R- 0201- 4/2020 z dnia 22 stycznia 2020 roku w sprawie zasad udzielania ulg w spłacie należności pieniężnych mających charakter cywilnoprawny przypadającej Uniwersytetowi Ekonomicznemu w Krakowie/KUE Rector ordinance no. R-0201-4/2020 of 22 January 2020 on the rules for granting the allowance in repayment of amounts due with a civil attributable to Krakow University of Economics (in Polish only). The letter with the required documents should be addressed to the Director of the Office of Finances and Public Procurement (Quaestor). Before submitting the letter, please confirm the amount of fee due in the Lending Room.
*Letters referring to the missing reminder e-mail about the return date will not be considered. Failure to notify is not a basis for discounts on the payment.
- If you want to renew your library account, please send your name, surname and student number to email@example.com
- After receiving the request, a librarian on duty will check the student's status in USOSweb and if it is marked as Active, the account will be renewed.
End-of-studies settlement with the Main Library (Clearance slip)
- Settlement is performed by the deanery of each academic unit electronically through the USOSweb platform.
- To receive a settlement, the reader must settle their library account (no overdue items and no outstanding fees). The obligation to settle accounts with the Main Library applies also to students who did not use the Main Library.
Using collections on-site
Everyone is entitled to use the Library's collections on-site upon presentation of a valid identification document (library card, student card, doctoral student card, ID card or other document).
Items available on-site:
- books located in the Main Reading Room and the Information Services Department;
- books located in the Closed Stacks [Magazyn] – on request (please ask for help librarian on duty);
- books borrowed through interlibrary loans;
- unpublished scientific research papers of KUE academics.
In the Main Reading Room and Information Services Department, you can use your materials as well.
Detailed terms and conditions of using the library can be found here: REGULATIONS FOR THE USE OF COLLECTIONS FROM THE LIBRARY-INFORMATION SYSTEM AT THE KRAKOW UNIVERSITY OF ECONOMICS.
Ordering materials from other library
What type of materials can we order?
We can only order materials that cannot be reached in any of Krakow's libraries and are unavailable in electronic form in the KUE online sources.
We can order materials in the form of:
- original copies - available on-site only in the Main Reading Room
- the return date for the ordered book is determined by the lending library
- service is free of charge for orders from Polish libraries
- service is subject to charges for orders from foreign libraries*
- photocopies - articles or book excerpts - available as photocopies or scans
- service is subject to charges*
- service is carried out and priced according to the rules of the library performing this service
*Applies to KUE academics, who are requested to submit confirmation form of funds (certified by the Unit for Support of Projects).
How to place an order?
Who can use the interlibrary loan service?
- KUE academics
- KUE students
- KUE doctoral students
- participants of postgraduate studies at KUE
Please note! If you want to order items from another library, you must have an active library account.
Sharing own collections with another library
What type of services can we offer?
- lending books
- photocopies of articles or book excerpts
How to place an order?
- by completing the electronic order form
- by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- on traditional reverses (public libraries), on IFLA forms (foreign libraries)
Krakow libraries and institutions fill out an annual declaration authorizing one or two people to sign reverses and order library materials electronically.
The loan period is 30 days. All services are free of charge.